Category: ENGLISH

  • CPN-Unified Socialist Chair Nepal inaugurates party’s central office in Minbhawan

    CPN-Unified Socialist Chair Nepal inaugurates party’s central office in Minbhawan

    KATHMANDU: The central office of the CPN-Unified Socialist was inaugurated by party Chairman Madhav Kumar Nepal, marking formal operation, at Minbhawan in Kathmandu Friday.

    Unified Socialist leader Jagan Nath Khatiwada said that the party office was run by renting Pooja Thapa Basnet’s four-storied house with an agreement of monthly payment of Rs. 325,000. There are altogether 15 rooms in the building housing the newly-established party’s central office. -Khabarhub

  • WHO chief urges halt to booster shots for rest of the year

    WHO chief urges halt to booster shots for rest of the year

    Rich countries with large supplies of coronavirus vaccines should refrain from offering booster shots through the end of the year and make the doses available for poorer countries, the head of the World Health Organization said Wednesday, doubling down on an earlier appeal for a “moratorium” on boosters that has largely been ignored.

    WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus also said he was “appalled” after hearing comments Tuesday from a top association of pharmaceutical manufacturers that vaccine supplies are high enough to allow for both booster shots for people in well-supplied countries and first jabs in poorer countries that face shortages. He said that’s already been the case.

    “I will not stay silent when companies and countries that control the global supply of vaccines think the world’s poor should be satisfied with leftovers,” he told a news conference. “Because manufacturers have prioritized or been legally obliged to fulfill bilateral deals with rich countries willing to pay top dollar, low income countries have been deprived of the tools to protect their people.”

    Tedros had previously called for a moratorium on boosters through the end of September. But wealthy countries — including Britain, Denmark, France, Greece, Germany, and Spain — have begun or are considering plans to offer third shots of two-dose vaccines to their vulnerable people such as the elderly or those with compromised immune systems.

    Israel has been providing third doses to a wide swath of people who already received a full two-dose regimen months earlier. And last month, United States health officials recommended that all Americans get boosters to shore up their protection amid evidence that the vaccines’ effectiveness is falling. WHO officials insist the scientific justification for boosters remains unclear.

    Tedros acknowledged that third doses might be necessary for at-risk groups, but said: “We do not want to see widespread use of boosters for healthy people who are fully vaccinated.”

    Responding to the WHO calls on booster shots, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said the U.S. has donated and shared about 140 million doses with over 90 countries, “more than all other countries combined.”

    She added: “From Senegal to South Africa to India, we’ve made significant investments in boosting global productions of COVID vaccines. At the same time, the President and this administration has a responsibility to do everything we can to protect people in the United States.”

    U.S. health officials are continuing to assess the science and utility of boosters, and there are growing indications that the U.S. may miss the Biden administration’s Sept. 20 target date for a wide rollout of extra shots for vaccinated people.

    The WHO chief said he received a message of “clear support” from health ministers at a meeting of the influential Group of 20 countries this week for a commitment to help hit a WHO target that all countries vaccinate at least 40% of their people by year’s end.

    “A month ago, I called for a global moratorium on booster doses, at least until the end of September to prioritize vaccinating the most at risk people around the world who are yet to receive their first dose,” Tedros said. “There has been little change in the global situation since then.”

    “So today, I’m calling for an extension of the moratorium until at least the end of the year to enable every country to vaccinate at least 40% of its population,” he said.

    The WHO says 5.5 billion coronavirus vaccine doses have been administered so far, but 80% of those have been to upper- and middle-income countries. Rich countries have also offered to donate 1 billion doses to other countries, but fewer than 15% of those doses have “materialized,” Tedros said.

    He noted that manufacturers have pledged to prioritize the U.N.-backed COVAX program, which aims to get vaccines to the neediest people in the world — no matter how wealthy the country.

    “We don’t want any more promises. We just want the vaccines,” the WHO chief said.

    Earlier Wednesday, COVAX managers again scaled back their target to ship doses this year, projecting about 1.4 billion doses will be available through the program by year-end — down from about 1.8 billion previously. They had originally hoped to ship 2 billion doses this year.

    Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, which co-runs the program, said COVAX has faced setbacks including export restrictions from hard-hit India — a key producer of vaccines — as well as regulatory hurdles for some vaccine candidates and manufacturing troubles elsewhere. But it also said deliveries are ramping up strongly, and another 1.1 billion doses are expected to be available by year-end through the program, up from 330 million so far. Most of those doses have gone to or are destined for poorer countries.

    The International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers and Associations said Tuesday that about 1.5 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses are now being produced every month, and cited projections that a total of 12 billion will have been produced by year-end.

    Dr. Bruce Aylward, a top adviser to Tedros, acknowledged that “some countries may be going ahead with decisions” to widely administer boosters, but that the WHO call for a moratorium “makes a real difference.” He said some countries — which he did not identify — have approached the WHO about whether booster policies could be delayed.

    But admittedly, the WHO’s first call for a moratorium through September has not fixed the gaping imbalance in access to vaccines.

    “(O)ur role is to make sure that we put forward the strongest possible arguments and way out of this pandemic — and the way out of that is a moratorium and to extend it,” Aylward said. “Because since the last time we called for it, the equity gap has gotten greater, the amount of vaccine available to low-income countries has gone down.”

  • Govt warns action against those criticizing foreign nations, development projects

    Govt warns action against those criticizing foreign nations, development projects

    KATHMANDU : The Ministry of Home Affairs has warned general public and media houses not to pass negative comments about the development projects funded or supported by foreign nations.

    Issuing a press statement recently, the Ministry expressed a serious concern over negative comments being passed about foreign countries, foreign nationals and their properties in social media and other media channels.

    The home ministry has also maintained that the government is monitoring such activities and has warned against those involved in such activities.

    Following such a directive from the government, huge public outcry has erupted against the government. Social media platforms are being flooded, accusing the government of paving a path to endorse the Millennium Corporate Challenge (MCC) of the United States of America (USA). Some also view the government’s move as a policy to stop anti-India protests regarding the Darchula incident. From Ratopati

  • Bibeksheel Sajha calls Central Committee meeting for Thursday

    Bibeksheel Sajha calls Central Committee meeting for Thursday

    KATHMANDU: Bibeksheel Sajha Party has called its Central Committee meeting for Thursday.

    Chairman of the party Rabindra Mishra on Monday summoned the Central Committee.

    Controversy has gripped the party after Chair Mishra put forward the idea of abolishing federalism and holding a referendum on religion. But his proposal was refuted by party’s Coordinator Milan Pandey.

    Mishra called a meeting to discuss the latest developments in the party following he and Pandey made public two conflicting views.

    However, Pandey objected to convening a meeting of the Central Committee. Pandey demanded to stop the meeting.

  • City drinking water project construction sees dillydally

    City drinking water project construction sees dillydally

    BAJHANG: The construction of City Drinking Water and Sanitation Project that entered into the signing of contract award to initiate works in Jayaprithvi-11, Bhojpur since 7 April 2019 has so far made 75 percent progress.

    As per the contract between the City Drinking Water and Sanitation Project Regional Office, Nepalgunj and Ashish JV Gwanllek Construction Service, the project was supposed to be completed within 18 months. With this the project had to be completed on September 2020.

    Consultant of JV Construction, Makar Bahadur Swar said the delay was caused with the import of construction materials from India and China as well as the enforcement of prolonged lockdown to suppress the COVID-19 outbreak.

    He further shared that the construction are being expedited in a way to distribute drinking water to the community people within Dashain festival i.e early October.

    Committee chairperson Lokendra Bista said 450,000 liters of water would be distributed to the users of Chainpur, 50,000 liters to the Bhopur locality and 100,000 liters to Dewal Rithapath once the project is completed. As many as 1,165 households of the area would be provided with drinking water facility.

    He further shared, “The project construction was also delayed due to flood in the project construction site in the Seti River”.

    The Asian Development Bank and Government of Nepal have invested 70 percent of the total costs while Urban Development Fund and users shared remaining 30 percent for the project construction. The municipality has also aided Rs 4.5 million as a matching fund. Total estimated project was cost was Rs 229.2 million.

  • 504 Nepalis arrive home after Taliban take over Afghanistan

    504 Nepalis arrive home after Taliban take over Afghanistan

    KATHMANDU:  After the Taliban took over Afghanistan, a total of 504 Nepalis have arrived home so far.

    According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 356 more Nepalis have registered their details in the web portal of the Department of Consular Service till Sunday evening for the rescue and repatriation.

    The government has already formed a taskforce to rescue and repatriate Nepalis stranded in Afghanistan after the recent political developments there.

    The taskforce held its seventh meeting on Sunday and discussed the ways for the rescue of Nepalis still stranded in Afghanistan, coordination with the neighbouring countries, repatriation process after their rescue and other related issues.

    The rescue operation has taken place on the basis of the registration of the stranded Nepalis in the web portal and their details given by the Nepali Embassy in New Delhi and the situation center.

    Similarly, one can contact at mobile numbers 9749326458 and 9749326459 through Viber and WhatsApp for rescue. Friendly nations have helped in the rescue of the stranded Nepalis by sending their flights to Kabul. (With inputs from RSS)

  • Home Minister and Home Secretary spent over Rs 14.8 mln on intelligence

    Home Minister and Home Secretary spent over Rs 14.8 mln on intelligence

    KATHMANDU: The Home Minister and the Home Secretary have spent a huge amount of money in the name of intelligence operation, bleeding the sate coffer.

    The expenditure on intelligence from the Ministry of Home Affairs on the topic of peace and security management has gone unabated even though the Office of the Auditor General has given instructions every year to stop such opaque expenses.

    Former Home Minister Ram Bahadur Thapa and the outgoing Home Secretary Maheshwar Neupane spent Rs. 14,858,000, according to a report published on Friday. Neupane spent Rs 765.8 million and Thapa Rs 7.2 million. For a decade now, the Auditor General has been instructing the government to make intelligence spending systematic and transparent, but no improvements have taken place, it is also opaque.

    Following the procedure passed by the Council of Ministers 28 years ago, the Home Minister and the Home Secretary have been exploiting the treasury in the name of spying for the party and its cadres every year.

    The Council of Ministers led by Girija Prasad Koirala had made an arrangement on May 26, 1993 for the Home Minister to spend up to Rs 50,000 and the Home Secretary to spend up to Rs 20,000 for peace and security.

  • CPN-UML holding Central Committee meeting today

    CPN-UML holding Central Committee meeting today

    KATHMANDU: CPN-UML Chairman KP Oli has called a meeting of the party’s central committee (CC) today.

    The CC meeting to be held at 3 pm will dwell on the preparations of the 10th General Convention of the party.

    UML is preparing to pass the draft proposal of the party statute to be presented in the upcoming general convention and send it to all committees for study and suggestions by August 11, saidCentral Office Secretary Sher Bahadur Tamang.

    The UML’s CC meeting scheduled for Sunday had been postponed for Monday. The UML’s general convention is scheduled for September 11 and 12.

    The UML Madhav Kumar Nepal-affiliated CC meeting that concluded on Friday had urged the Oli-faction not to carry out party activities unilaterally until there is unity between the two factions.

    UML Chairman Oli and senior leader Madhav Nepal are at loggerheads over various issues for a long time.

    Earlier, as many as 22 UML lawmakers, including Madhav Nepal, had given a vote of confidence to Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba.

    The disgruntled faction has already demanded the exit of party Chairman KP Oli as a precondition for party unification.

    The faction had also decided to continue rendering efforts until Oli announces a breakaway from the mother party.

    The faction is also likely to announce a new party since there is a slim chance for party unification. Source: Khabarhub

  • SC hearing writ against dissolution of Land Commission today

    SC hearing writ against dissolution of Land Commission today

    KATHMANDU:  The Supreme Court (SC) is hearing the writ petition lodged against the dissolution of Land Commission today.

    The writ petition was filed on Sunday by legal practitioner Mahesh Bhattarai on behalf of Chairperson of the dissolved Commission making Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers and Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba as defendants.

    The writ petition has sought the SC’s order not to implement the cabinet decision taken on August 3, arguing that the decision has pushed the constitutional rights of the landless, squatters and Dalits towards uncertainty.

    Four different writ petitions have already been filed over this issue.

  • Government to support disaster survivors: Maoist Chair Prachanda

    Government to support disaster survivors: Maoist Chair Prachanda

    MANANG: CPN (Maoist Centre) Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’ has said the government would fully support the landslide and flood-affected people.

    While inspecting the natural disaster-hit areas in the hilly district on Saturday, the former Prime Minister Prachanda shared that the incumbent coalition government was with the disaster survivors. He also said Manang and Sindhupalchowk were the worst-affected districts by the floods and landslides, therefore a practical solution would be sought after proper geological survey.

    He further committed to managing food and shelter for the survivors. The inspection team led by Prachanda comprised Minister for Energy and Irrigation, Pampha Bhushal, and other high level officials.

    The team also inspected Pisang, Chame and Naso Rural Municipalities. Floods in different parts of the district had submerged over 100 houses and causing huge damage a month back. CPN (Maoist Centre) Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’. (File photo)